Michael Arlen, President of NEWtritious, is raising the bar on nutrition.
Michael Arlen was a pioneer in the sales automation, desktop publishing and e-commerce revolutions. Early adoption of those technologies enabled Arlen Advertising “to do more, with less!” This greatly enriched him and became the springboard that fueled the agency’s ascendancy to become a favorite creative shop for tech entrepreneurs to beta test their software. Many of these tech startups also became Arlen’s clients. Some of them even rose to become the iconic leaders in their product categories.
Arlen enjoyed going on “technology road shows” and hobnobbing on panels with the tech industry’s elite. He frequently spoke on the virtues of sales automation, desktop publishing and the advantages of using online catalogs. Being quick to spot and seize opportunity, Arlen used his speaking engagements as a means to win new business and forge strategic partnerships with like-minded ad agency owners around the globe. Within 8 years of founding his nimble, LA-based boutique ad agency, he forged strategic alliances in Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore and Mexico City. Each had state-of-the-art desktop publishing equipment, some of which was donated by the manufacturers, who in-turn, used Arlen Advertising’s offices, as a showcase to demonstrate how the equipment could be integrated and used.
In its heyday, the sun never set on Arlen Advertising! And, when the US economy was steeped in recession and US advertising was down, Arlen helped found ShoppingNet.com and focused his attention on selling US goods via online catalogs written in Japanese, Korean and Mandarin. Arlen Advertising also helped foreign companies enter the US marketplace. Its colorful, cautionary ads written in foreign languages, won creative accolades and business from blue-chip firms listed on the Hang Seng, Nikkei and KOSPI.
After an exposé of Arlen’s diversification dominated the front page of the LA Times Business Section, Arlen Advertising became a major supplier of promotional items to the Entertainment and Automotive industries. The ad agency also created YourLogoOnIt.com, an online store for promotional items.
Michael Arlen crafted a lucrative Affiliate Marketing deal with the American Society of Association Executives, an organization with a membership of over 44,000 associations! The arrangement allowed the ASAE and each of the member associations to earn revenue from the sale of promotional items to their membership. At the ASAE’s Annual Meeting, Arlen gave a presentation, entitled: “Self-Liquidating Premiums: a way to boost morale and turn your members into walking billboards for your cause.” This presentation introduced the idea of building the cost of the promotional item into the cost of admission. Shortly after conference, Arlen Advertising had hundreds of orders from associations all across the country. YourLogoOnIt.com was launched to become the affiliate sales portal, where orders were placed and tracked, and commissions were reported to the ASAE and the affiliated associations.
One day, a client asked Arlen to custom design a pocket reference as a consensus-builder for an upcoming Scientific Assembly. Although the person didn’t have enough money to pay for the development work required to make the pocket reference, Arlen agreed to subsidize the costs, if he could retain the copyright and include Arlen Advertising’s logo and contact info on the bottom of the pocket reference’s front and or back panel. The pocket reference was a phenomenal success. Calls came in from the trade show, even before the conference was over! Early adopters and big supporters of Arlen’s pocket references were: the Mayo Clinic, The Cleveland Clinic, Kaiser Permanente and the American Heart Association. Later, an assortment of drug companies, Universities, branches of the Military, the CDC, and hundreds of community and regional hospitals, became regular purchasers of the pocket references, which were used in conjunction of teaching the topics to those seeking accreditation for Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
Shortly after the Controller of Harvard University’s Medical School, called to question the propriety of a “textbook purchase” requiring a check to be made payable to an ad agency, Arlen Medical Education Products, LLC was formed.
Within a year’s time, Arlen Med Ed’s triage-focused pocket references became the gold standard and changed how emergency medicine was taught in medical schools. These references also paved the way for Critical Care Nurses, Physician Assistants and EMTs to later attain certification that allowed them to administer drugs to patients as part of Emergency Advanced Cardiac Life Support. These practices saved lives and eventually became a standard of care in other countries, too. Arlen met with the Ministries of Health of Mexico and Argentina, and worked closely with their leading medical professionals to develop country specific protocols, adjusted to use only those drugs that were approved for use in those countries. Soon the pocket references were being translated into French and Spanish and sold far and wide.
Years later, after suffering a freak heart attack of his own, Arlen decided to change his lifestyle and the focus of his work. Instead of teaching healthcare professionals how to treat heart attacks, he wanted to help people avoid them all together! Arlen then launched NEWtritious, a functional foods company that improves the nutritional profiles of easy to prepare foods; and addresses the chronic nutritional deficiencies that have been tied to degenerative diseases.
Today NEWtritious, LLC offers the following innovative functional foods:
Kherb Appeal® is a tasty instant pudding that suppresses appetite & provides 1/2 your Daily Value of 19 essential vitamins and minerals. It's also a good source of fiber and is a natural way to relieve oneself from periodic constipation.
HHiceCream® Probiotic Defense is a delicious soft serve frozen yogurt that has eared a label claim of supports immunity health and provides essential vitamin and mineral supplementation, while tastefully addressing the discomfort of diarrhea.
Instant NEWtrition® is the savory alternative to those sugary-sweet meal replacement shakes. A 12oz., serving provides 17 grams of protein and more than 1/3 you’re Daily Value of 19 essential vitamins and minerals.
Alpha Omega® Mix is an unflavored nutrient booster that can elevate one’s recipe into a complete, meal replacement.
Haute Tomato® is a spicy tomato instant "Bloody Mary" mix, which delivers 1/2 your Daily Value of 19 essential vitamins and minerals.
Michael Arlen's Background
Michael Arlen's Experience
President at NEWtritious, LLC
February 2002 - Present | 11400 W. Olympic Blvd., 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90064-1579
Founder and President, NEWtritious (Functional Foods), January 2002 – Present
• Raised the bar on nutrition and introduced “Ounces of Prevention™” into the food chain.
• Developed and introduced these innovative product lines:
1. Kherb Appeal®: A Delight-Full™instant pudding that suppresses appetite and provides balanced nutrition.
2. Instant NEWtrition®: A savory alternative to those sugary-sweet meal replacement shakes.
3. HHice Cream® Probiotic Defense: A soft serve frozen yogurt that “supports immunity” and “digestive health.”
4. Alpha Omega®: A vitamin and mineral booster that can be incorporated into one’s own recipes.
5. Haute Tomato®: “Your multi-vitamin never tasted this good!”™ Virgin Bloody Mary Mix. Just add water.
6. Function-ala-Teas®: Instant Teas with functionality.
• Negotiated distribution and licensing agreements.
• Developed the “NEW Deal”: a vertically integrated collaborative model that enlists the biggest influencers to become stakeholders.
President / Publisher at Arlen Medical Education Products
January 1993 - 2002 | Los Angeles
Publisher, Arlen Medical Education Products, January 1993 – February 2002
Designed and developed what became the new standard in triage-focused medical education products.
* Changed the way emergency medicine was taught in medical schools; and paved the way to train and certify Allied
Healthcare professionals in the delivery of Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support
(PALS) and Neonatal Resuscitation.
* Designed and developed the first pocket references for ACLS, PALS, Neonatal Resuscitation & Asthma Guidelines.
* Developed key accounts and regional distributors, and managed outside vendor relationships.
* Implemented sophisticated online marketing and internet-based viral marketing strategies.
* Boosted sales via strategic alliances with universities, associations and pharmaceutical firms.
* Cultivated a loyal clientele base of over 20,000 healthcare instructors, medical schools and hospitals.
* Developed strategic alliances with medical authorities in New Zealand, Canada, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
President / Creative Director at Arlen Advertising
January 1982 - October 1999 | Los Angeles, Tokyo, Taipei, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico City
Founded and grew a small ad agency into an international integrated marketing firm.
* Grew a small start-up into one of Los Angeles’s "Top 25" ad agencies (in billings) for 15 consecutive years.
* Took sizeable portions of the Sizzler, Kentucky Fried Chicken, PIP Printing, Prudential Insurance, City National Bank, R&B Enterprises and IHOP business away from blue chip ad agencies.
* Cultivated a network of business relationships through long-term involvement w/ industry trade orgs and charity.
* Forged the initial alliance between 11 So Cal Newspapers to concurrently run “You and Your First Job” special section for PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association) The Network included: The Los Angeles Times, Orange Country Register, Daily News, Daily Breeze, Long Beach Press Telegram, San Gabriel Valley Tribune, Riverside News Press, Simi Valley Enterprise and Ventura Star, Riverside Press Enterprise and the San Diego Union Tribune.
This was a harbinger to the Southern California’s “Rainbow group media buy” later offered through SRDS (Standard Rate and Data).
* Rallied all 11 newspapers to co-operate again the following year, and got La Opinion, the Korea Times and the
China Daily News to translate and publish the “You and Your First Job” materials in Spanish, Korean and Mandarin.
* Spearheaded lead generation, proposal development, sales presentations, and client negotiations.
* Analyzed sales statistics to formulate policies and develop promotional plans and materials.
* Created budgets and supervised day-to-day operations of a $28 Million enterprise.
* Opened and managed offices in Los Angeles, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore and Mexico City.
* Oversaw projects with full accountability for sales, creative, production and media.
* Sold company in October 1999.
Vice President of Marketing at ShoppingNet.com
January 1995 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Helped launch one of the first online aggregators of direct mail catalogs for overseas purchasers.
* Wrote business plan and provided strategic planning.
* Helped assemble Management Team to run operations.
* Shopped idea to independent investors and venture capital firms.
* Contracted for site development in English, Japanese and Mandarin Chinese.
* Conducted sales presentations in the U.S., Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
* Company was purchased in 1999.
President at YourLogoOnIt.com
July 1997 - October 1999 | Los Angeles
Launched one of the first online providers of promotional items.
Increased profits through vertical integration by designing and contract manufacturing custom-designed products overseas.
* Contract manufactured unique promotional items in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China and Mexico.
* Created collateral materials and exhibited at key tradeshows.
* Contracted for affiliate and co-branded sales channels with major associations and trade groups.
Michael Arlen's Education
Loyola Law School, Loyola Marymount University
1975 – 1979
Concentration: Civil Trial Advocacy, Intellectual Property & Tax Law
Activities: Served as a Law Clerk at Dryden Harrington Swartz, an Insurance Defense Firm. I specialized in drafting pleadings to remove matters from Federal Jurisdiction. My pleadings removed several (at least 4) LA Police Protection League matters (the infamous bar choke hold cases).
I also wrote the pleadings which removed the soon to become landmark "Ford Pinto Case" (Grimshaw vs Ford) from the Federal Court. Opposing Counsel (Mr. Robinson, of Cummings, White, Robinson & Robinson) offered me a job, after my pleadings knocked them out of Federal Court.
(The matter could have settled for $2.1 Million, but went to trial in California's state court system, where it became the largest Punitive Damage Claim of its time: $128 Million!)
I also used Medical Research to settle a matter for one of the Senior Partners. The Insurance Company reversed its refusal of coverage of hypnotherapy for his wife's cancer pain. (A then novel therapy for pain.)
University of California, Santa Barbara
1974 – 1974
Concentration: Summer Total Immersion Program in Portuguese
Activities: Spent the Summer Session in a total immersion environment:"The Casa Portuguesa" with the Language Professors.
School of International Training, Brattleboro, VT
1973 – 1974
Concentration: Spanish Language Immersion and Semester Abroad
Activities: Studied the use of medicinal plants and the practice of folk medicine.
Wrote Thesis: "My Father The Witchdoctor: A Study In Cross Cultural Psychotherapy."
Also wrote a short ethnography, entitled "Vows of Silence" on Monastic Life. I was the first "Guest" to enter the Cloister of San Jerónimo Monks, since the Spanish Civil War (1936). During my 7-day "retreat," I worked 8 hours a day & prayed 8 hours a day, and observed life in the Monastery. While there, I single-handedly planted 200 almond trees & 500 pine trees.
20 years later, I took my parents and fiancée to Segovia's Alcazar and pointed-out the forest and orchard I planted on the opposing hillside where the Monastery stood.
University of California, Los Angeles
1972 – 1974
Bachelors of Science
Activities: Served as the Department of Architecture's Spanish Speaking Liaison for a Zoning Awareness Project to rally the Spanish & Japanese speaking residents to oppose the creation of a spur of the 405 Freeway to run along Sawtelle Blvd.
Universidad de las Américas, A.C.
1972 – 1972
Concentration: Summer Program in Archaeology.
Activities: Surveyed and excavated a new site under the direction of Dr. Noberto Gonzalez and the Museo Nacional de Arqueoleogia, Mexico DF. We discovered & excavated a rare, sealed tomb. National Geographic flew-in a camera crew to document the opening of the tomb.
University of Southern California
1971 – 1972
Concentration: Cultural Anthropology & Oceanography
Activities: The only Undergraduate chosen to crew on an Oceanographic Expedition to perform piston coring across the Molokai Trench to prove the existence of a "Spreading Zone" & hence, proved The Plate Tectonic Theory.
Palisades High School
1968 – 1971
High School Diploma
Activities: Spent 2 years on the Leadership Council
as the Commissioner of Publications where I published Pali's literary magazine, Analecta (one issue had a foreword written by Rod Serling).
Lettered in Gymnastics & Track.
Michael Arlen's Interests & Activities
Present Professional Affiliations:
Past Chairman and Member, Board of Directors: Breathe LA (7 years)
Chairman and Member, Board of Directors: SOSMentor (3 years)
Secretary and Member, Board of Directors: Contra-Tiempo (3 years)
Past Professional Affiliations:
Chairman and Member, Board of Directors, American Lung Association of Los Angeles County (15 years)
Member, Board of Directors, American Lung Association of California (5 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Employment Management Association (4 years)
Program Chair, District 5’s Board of Directors, Professionals In Human Resources Association (PIHRA) (18 years)
Member, Board of Directors, PIHRA Foundation (Professionals In Human Resources Association) (4 years + 2 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Asian American Alliance of Public Relations and Ad Agencies (3 years)
Member, Board of Directors, American Social Marketing Association (ASMA) (2 years)
Member, Board of Directors, World Trade Center Association of Los Angeles County (4 years)
Member, Board of Directors, Dharma Heritage Foundation (4 years)
Member, Society of Human Resources Management (18 years)
Member, American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) (4 years + 3 years)
Assistant Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America, Troop 117, Brentwood, CA (6 years)
Member of the Order of the Arrow, Honor Society of the Boy Scouts of America (2 years + 6 years)
Judge: Clio Awards (3 years)
Judge: Addy Awards (3 years)
Pres. of Jury, Foreman of TV Entries: 11th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil
Juror, Foreman of Print Entries and Panelist: 10th Festival Mundial de Publicidade, Brazil
Speaker at: Seybold (3 years)
Speaker at: MacWorld Expo (2 years)
Contributing Editor: Ad Age, Asian Edition (5 years)
Contributing Author: MicroPublishing Times (4 years)
Intern/Legislative Analyst - Congressman Anthony Beilenson, Los Angeles, CA
Law Clerk - Dryden Harrington and Swartz, Los Angeles, CA
Special Assistant to Murillo Valente, Minister of International Trade, Acting Consul General of Brazil, Los Angeles, CA
Docent and Tour Guide, Will Rogers State Park, Santa Monica, CA
Short-order Cook, Sand & Sea Club, Santa Monica, CA
Sandwich Maker, The Italian Deli, Santa Monica, CA
Janitor, 320 Wilshire Building, Santa Monica, CA